Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Signal de Botrange - Belgium

I jumped in the car and headed north on N62 to a relatively large town of St Vith. One thing that I notice as I travel through countries is the saturation of information via the internet making the the world much smaller than it was 20 years ago. Every where you look there are familiar conveniences, newer cars, and modern homes. Even the kids look familiar with their longer hair and snowboard shoes peaking on their iPods with texts to their friends. This world is smaller and to even thought about doing something like this 20 years ago would be a different, but remember I was without anything but my black-and-white map.


I continued on through Malmedy which led to Signal de Botrange approx 30 miles north of Kneiff. Signal de Botrange is the highest point in Belgium, located in the High Fens at 694 metres or 2,277 feet. It is the top of a broad plateau where and a road crousses next to the “summit”. As I stepped from the car in the parking lot the entire area was iced over which included hundreds of teenagers whom apparently we were on a ski trip as the entire area is that notorious for cross-country skiing. It reminded me of the small ski lodge with a café jammed with those wanting some comfort inside. I did the honorary thing and climbed up on the icy steps the six-meter high Baltia tower which was built in 1923 to allow visitors to reach an altitude of 700 m. I snapped again a few pictures and enjoyed being on the second highest point of the country in the afternoon and climbed down and made my way back to the car. With the heat on I had one more stop to make before I could look for a hotel for the night including a nice hot shower and some fresh coffee.


With roughly 30 miles to the next destination I was again in the car and travel through a historic town of Eupen with a small river flowing through the heart of the town. I pulled the car to the side and walk this brick streets and enjoyed the surrounding ambience of the hustling of everyone's daily lives. I was happy to be here knowing that these small towns have more history than anything in American. The buildings still in peferct shape along with the façade to the small alleyways leading throughout the town. I pulled back onto the road and made my final stretch to the Vaals in the country of Netherlands. Without my handy electronic map, I made my way into the very large town Aachen in Germany and then turned back into the Netherlands leading me to N278. One thing I could help but notice in this town that everyone seem to be a perfect shape including the women being stunning. I don't know if it was just my time at a certain moment or actually this is the way they are in his Germantown named Aachen, but I noticed. Aachen is a historic spa city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It was a favoured residence of Charlemagne, the King of the Franks from 768 to his death, and the place of coronation of the Kings of Germany. It is the westernmost city of Germany, located along its borders with Belgium and the Netherlands, 65 km (40 mi) west of Cologne.


With this discovery I explored a historic structure which was Marschiertor in Aachen. The Marschiertor, until the 17th Century, or later also called Berset Burtscheider gate or gate, was the southern gate of the outer wall Aachen, began around 1257 and probably completed shortly after 1300. One of the most powerful surviving city gates Western Europe. It was in the inner walls (wall with ten goals Barbarossa), a counterpart, the Marschiermitteltor or Burtscheider Middle Gate. The Marschiertor belonged, as the other still-extant gate Ponttor, to the four main gates (Ponttor, Kölntor, Marschiertor and Jakobstor of, 14 to 15 Second century built fortifications Rings Aachen as its southernmost point. It stands at the end of Francis Street and at the beginning of the former main road into town Burtscheid, which destroyed at the Second World War Burtscheider upper gate ends. The Marschiertor is built as a twin-tower-Torburg. The two towers are four-, five floors of the central block. Towers and form a quasi central block unit with common nickname tent roof. The gate is a total of 23.80 m wide, the Durchfahrtbreite is 4.8 m. Field side, the portal has three staggered portal arches. The outer arch extends to the second floor, the next platform with defense in the first m) and the actual pointed arch portal with vaulted ceiling. Through the two round towers flanking the central block four-sided town-lead spiral stairs in the weapons room. The guard rooms were on the ground floor of the towers, including the dungeons. On the east tower is found, an external Garderobe. The Marschiertor had like all doors except the city of Aix-Junkerstor (Vaalser Gate) in the Southwest was originally a front gate, the main gate, because even built as Doppelturmvortor, and the still-preserved front gate of the Ponttor similar. It was the 18th Century, demolished to make room for more modern fortifications.


Over the centuries not only learned the occupation and siege of different groups of soldiers, but was also temporarily junk room, homeless accommodation, hostel and finally HJ-Heim. In the wake of World War II has been damaged, the 1943 Marschiertor significantly by incendiary bombs, and was initially restored only provisional...







No comments: